Areas of Practice
Rick is first and foremost a civil litigator with over 35 years of experience, but his legal skills and accomplishments confirm a broader and deeper range of experience:
Business Litigation: Rick represents corporate entities, partners and partnerships, and individual clients in a wide range of business litigation matters such as contract disputes, corporate and partnership dissolutions, misappropriation and fraud cases, tortious interference, defamation, accounting disputes, non compete disputes, employment contracts, and employment discrimination matters (from representation in the EEOC and Missouri Commission on Human Rights to court trials and appeals).
Employer Protection: Rick has authored FMLA, discrimination and harassment compliance policies and response plans, and employment manuals, for major employers.
Real Estate Litigation: Rick has litigated scores of real estate disputes from the garden variety trespass, boundary dispute, and partition actions to complicated quiet title and commercial title and leasing disputes.
Family Law: Rick also has successfully handled many hundreds of divorces and domestic disputes, ranging from the simple non contested divorce to complicated property divisions and custody disputes. He has achieved impressive results in difficult support collection matters and enforcement (contempt) cases as well as in modifications of unreasonable prior decrees.
Personal Injury and Workers Compensation: Rick has experience in litigating and mediating personal injury cases including auto, truck, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents, highway construction negligence, injuries from animals, products liability cases, and premises liability claims. Rick has successfully litigated numerous wrongful death cases and obtained large recoveries in aquatic cases such as diving injuries and drownings.
Civil Appeals: Rick is also an experienced and accomplished appellate lawyer. He has won numerous appeals and has an impressive winning record before the Missouri Supreme Court. Just a few of those cases are outlined below.
Whether litigating business, real estate, domestic, or injury disputes, civil litigation and appeals are Rick's forte. He knows how to negotiate from strength to save you (the client) thousands in litigation expenses and he also knows how to win tough courtroom battles. He is always available for an initial free phone consult and will timely respond to your e mail inquiries.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Employer Protection
- Real Estate Litigation
- Family Law
- Personal Injury and Workers Compensation
- Civil Appeals
95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1977
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: History
- Major: Political Science
- Petition for Legal Separation: Alive & Kicking, Journal of the Missouri Bar, Vol. 46, No. 4, 1990
- Another Venue Dilemma: Common Liability or Joinder, Journal of the Missouri Bar, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1996
- Higgins v. McElwee, 680 S.W.2d 335 (Mo. App. E.D. 1984)
- D.L.G., Sr. v. E.L.S., 11A S.W.2d 477 (Mo. 1989)
- Harris v. Niehaus, 857 S.W.2d 222 (Mo. 1993)
- George v. Shop ‘n Save Warehouse Foods, Inc., 855 SW2d 460 (Mo. App. E.D. 1993)
- Wenthe v. Willis Corroon, 932 SW2d 791 (Mo. App. E.D. 1996)
- State ex rel. Malone v. Mummert, 889 SW2d 822 (Mo. App. E.D. 1996)
- Malone v. Schapun, Inc., 965 SW2d 177 (Mo. App. E.D. 1997)
- Bell v. May Dept. Stores, 6 SW3d 871 (Mo. 1999)
- Ashworth v. City of Moberly, 53 S.W.3d 564 (Mo. App. W.D. 2001)
- Lee v. Lee, 117 S.W.3d 693 (Mo. App. E.D. 2003)
- Collector of Revenue, Res v Parcels Of Land Enc, App, SC90732 (2011)
- Blanchette v. Blanchette, 476 S.W.3d 273 (Mo.banc 2015)
- Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. v. Buie, 689 S.W.2d 848 (Mo. App. E.D. 1985)
- In the Matter of Foreclosures of Liens For Delinquent Land Taxes By Action In Rem Collector of Revenue v. Bhatti , 334 S.W.3d 444 (Mo.banc 2011)
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Maryville University in St. Louis: teaching Civil Litigation and Torts to legal studies majors and paralegals for over 12 years.
- Through the auspices of the National Business Institute, has taught legal seminars to other lawyers on the subjects of auto injuries, premises liability, and wrongful death.
- Rick is a 4th degree black belt in the martial art of Ki Aikido, and has taught a bar sponsored course to litigators on how mindful awareness and focused concentration can transform the experience of courtroom conflict to the 'blending' that is the essence of aikido.
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell, 2000-Present
- Listed in Who's Who of American Law, 1985-Present
Past Employment Positions
- Blanke & Associates Law Firm, Partner, 1980 to 1990